With Spring/Summer approaching, our wardrobes are getting a little out of hand… new pieces are coming in.. the old ones are being shoved to the back and deciding what we can mix with our new pieces is sending us batty! Time to bring in the experts!
Have you met Laura Stead? She is one of the gorgeous Westfield Chermside stylists who’s life purpose is to make your wardrobe and this season’s fashion make sense!
We posed the question to Laura: What SS pieces should we be buying, what pieces should we hold on to for Spring and what can be stored away once Winter is gone?
Here is a little insight from the stylist herself…
Top 5 pieces from SS12 trends shoppers should look for:
- Western-inspired piece – denim goes back with everything in your wardrobe, and will go from staple to trend next season thanks to Western. Personally my favourite is the denim shirt!
- A floral statement – blooming bouquets will be everywhere for spring summer, and are perfect for the warmer weather! Pencil skirts, tailored blazers and button-downs will be the most popular
- Sporty luxe trousers – stylish, comfortable and perfect for updating your basics and block-coloured blazers
- A fabulous retro ladylike dress – ladylike is back for another season and will be here to stay! Invest with a gorgeous dress and be ready for the racing season too!
- Stacked on tribal jewellery – bangles and oversized necklaces pick up on the boho trend we love every spring summer and are the most inexpensive way to experiment with new trends
Top 3 pieces shoppers should keep from AW12 for SS12
- Coloured jeans – are here to stay for another season! For SS12, you’ll be able to choose between neon brights and pastels, for all personal styles. Everyone should own a pair because you can wear them as a statement with all of the basics in your wardrobe, or use to mix with other trends like colour blocking.
- Peplums – were made famous in AW12 for their figure-fixing structure, ability to dress up and down and clevel frill that hides our tummy. They’ll be back in SS12 in the form of tops, skirts and dresses in neutral and block colours and the most popular prints.
- Metallic accessories – if you’re looking for a quick and stylish way to experiment with trends, metallic accessories is the way to go! Take baby steps with a sequin clutch or glittery heels before working your way up the ranks to sparkly blazers and skirts.
Items that should be stored – how should they be stored?
- Statement coat – AW12 was all about the statement winter coat, but of course we won’t be needing it for spring summer! If you invested in a classic coat, or something more “out-there” that just screams your personal style, be sure to store it away until next winter! Take it for a dry-clean, before storing it safely in a suit bag hanging in your closet.
- Chunky knits – were one of the biggest trends, namely because they are effortlessly stylish, and comfortable for busy fashionistas! Needless to say, something this handy will always come back in style! Store in clean, dry Space Bags or other vacuum bags to hide from dust over the next few months.
- 1960’s – was our favourite era this winter, in particular swing coats, woollen dresses and opaque stockings. As we move through to spring summer, it’s likely we’ll be steering more towards the 70’s and its boho vibe, but next year we will be seeing the cosy fabrics and tailored shapes of the swinging sixties once again.